Professor Michele Russell-Westhead - Fellow of Pearson College London: Education and Research
Michele has a well-established reputation in higher education, particularly in curriculum design, professional and clinical education with a research profile in pedagogy/ learning and teaching innovation and policy, as demonstrated in a strong record of publication, funding and other forms of scholarship. She has presented at international conferences in Europe, Australia and North America and undertaken consultancy within many UK based and overseas organisations in order to support their strategic development. Her approach to collaboration is reflected in her own work with a wide range of industry partners and university colleagues in the UK and abroad, for example, she leads Educational Development in Nurse Education at King’s College London and is the current Director of Education for the International Association of Professional Doctorates (IAPD) hosting their annual conference.
This collegiate, multi-faceted and somewhat unconventional approach to an academic career was rewarded by a Professorial Chair in Clinical Education at Northumbria University, she was the first academic to be awarded Principal Fellow of the Higher Education Academy at King’s and also the first to be honoured with a King’s Teaching Fellowship for outstanding contribution to educational excellence.Current scholarship/research activities relate primarily to pedagogical methods, learning and teaching development, industry-engagement, widening participation/social justice in higher education, employability and professional issues in health disciplines and the translation of research evidence into the practice of clinicians.
Current projects include:
Research into a group clinic curriculum and healthcare model for the management of group clinics in chronic disease management with colleagues at Newcastle UniversityLeading on a national workplace bullying project. This phase addresses nurse education but being rolled out to medicine, dentistry and allied health professions with colleagues at King’s College London and James Cook University, Australia
Simulation and Learning Innovation
- Artificial intelligence and diagnostic systems to create personalised learning in higher education with IBM.
- Virtual Learning Landscapes in Clinical Education and Practice with MDT Global Solutions, NHS, MOD and PCL colleagues
- The use of Human Factors to enhance Clinical Simulation and improve patient safety with South East Cast Ambulance NHS Trust
Real World Learning/ Industry Engaged Education
- Studio Learning with Escape Studios
Introducing Behavioural Insights and Education – A Practical Guide with colleagues in Pearson Education and the Behaviour Insights Team of the Cabinet Office
- Lead projects on Assessment and Feedback in clinical education e.g. introduction of rubrics, resulting in positive change in policy and practice, as evidenced in research findings, institutional evaluation and student generated data with colleagues at King’s College London
- Engaged ‘real-world’ student learning: translating research and industry innovation into high impact strategies to enhance student achievement with Pearson College London academic staff, strategic partnership team and industry partners such as IBM, Salesforce, Savills, Direct Line, NHS Ambulance Trusts