Saint has been working at the interface between the animation, computer games, and visual effects industries and higher education, with a mission to produce better quality talent to feed the UK's creative industries.
Highlights of Saint’s career include:·
- Authoring and updating the well-respected Core Skills of VFX Handbook and Student Primer.
- Initiating, designing and running the Norwich University of the Arts VFX degree course, authoring the world’s first VFX MOOC (Massive Open Online Course).
- As a member of Access:VFX, Saint has worked on a number of projects to encourage more diversity and inclusion in visual effects and animation.
- Curating the London International Animation Festival industry panels in 2014, 2015 and 2019.
Saint is a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (SFHEA) and has designed and run courses for the National Film and Television School, University of the Arts, and been an external examiner, written articles, mentored, led and managed a range of industry facing education ventures.
In terms of free time, he’s a keen paleofuturist and blogs about digital pedagogy.
What has Saint been up to?
- 2018 - 2019 articles published in 3D World Magazine: “The Art of the Side Project: how you can learn from the greats of VFX” (Issue 127) and “No More Stories, Let’s Start Building Worlds” (Issue 117)
- 2019 Gained Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- 2018 External Examiner for University of Portsmouth Computer Animation and VFX BSc courses.
- 2017 Author of the Creative Skillset (update) “Core Skills of VFX Handbook”
- 2016 - 2017 Author/Designer of the first VFX MOOC (Massive Open Online Course) “VFX for Guerrilla Filmmakers” globally available on the FutureLearn platform
- 2015 Course Leader, BA (Hons) VFX
- 2013 - 2014 Wrote VFX “Training the trainer” competencies programme for the Egypt Government Broadcast Sector
- 2011-2014 Creative Skillset’s Head of Development, managing and overseeing several important initiatives for the VFX industry- VFX and Animation standards, the first Higher Level apprenticeships and Accreditation.
- 2011 Writer and named contributor to the UK Government’s “Next Gen Skills” report
- 2006 set up Brains Eden, Cambridge; the UK’s largest international student games jam, now in its 14th year at Anglia Ruskin University.