2D Animation with Toon Boom Harmony (Evening - 10 weeks)
Animators, it’s time to take it to the next level
2D Animation with Toon Boom Harmony is a 10 week online introduction to the basics of locomotion and mechanics in animation. This course is aimed at current animators wanting to acquire 2D software skills. This course will enable students to learn the basics of 2D animation using Toon Boom Harmony, no prior knowledge of the software is required.
You will be expected to attend an evening class one night a week, and will be set simple projects to do from home. You will also have the opportunity to develop your portfolio or demo reel ensuring you are studio ready on completion of the course!
The course has been developed by our Head of Animation, Alex Williams, in response to demand for skilled 2D animators on the market.
- Platform, GoToTraining
- System requirements https://docs.toonboom.com/help/system-requirements/system-requirements/harmony-17.html
- Internet connection
- Camera, mic and tablet (Wacom Bamboo, Intuos or Cintiq)
- Toon Boom licenses provided by us/Escape
- This is a practical class focusing on industry-focused outcomes and taught by working professionals in the field.
- Study in the evening - this course covers the basics to get you ready for a 2D Animator role with the flexibility to study in the evenings. We keep our class sizes small so you’ll get plenty of 1-2-1 time with your tutor.
- You’ll be taught by industry professionals who know what skills and experience are required in the animation industry, teaching you real-world tips and tricks.
- Over the duration of the course you’ll work on projects based on briefs given by industry professionals.
- Week 1 - User interface & setup
- Week 2 - Animation basics – the Bouncing Ball
- Week 3 - Rigging basics 1
- Week 4 - Rigging basics 2
- Week 5 - Locomotion cycles
- Week 6 - Advanced locomotion
- Week 7 - Final project - Planning
- Week 8 - Develop final project
- Week 9 - Submit final project (industry brief)
- Week 10 - Demo reel
We welcome and encourage applications from students with a variety of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives.
To study this short course, you must:
- Be over 18
- Have a good understanding of written and spoken English
- Feel comfortable using a computer
Evening (part-time) courses can be purchased directly via our online shop - just click the Buy Now button at the top of the page.
Alternatively, you can:
- Call our Admissions Advisors on +44 (0)203 441 1303
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Reach us on LiveChat on Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
Following your application, you will need to agree to our terms and conditions before your place on the course can be secured.
2D animation is everywhere these days - especially in TV which has been revolutionised in recent years by changes in the way audiences consume TV, most notably the boom of series productions. This course will introduce you to the techniques of 2D animation, and will leave you ready for a 2D animator role.
We offer a range of payment plan options for all courses. Following an initial deposit at registration stage, your chosen payment plan will break down your remaining fees into up to five equal instalments, to be paid before the end of the course.
Meet our tutors
Our tutors have all sculpted their own careers in successful studios in the industry and are now sharing their expertise in the classroom. Packed with everything from Thor: Ragnarok, Black Mirror and Black Panther to the original Lion King and multiple PlayStation titles, their CVs don't get much cooler! They know exactly what skills you need – teaching you real-world tips and tricks, as well as the latest industry software and techniques to kick-start your career.
Industry partners and advisors influence everything we do, from the curriculum we teach and how it's delivered to our webinars and events.
We work alongside an impressive list of VFX, Games and Animation studios including Industrial Light & Magic, Framestore, Blue Zoo, MPC, Jellyfish Pictures, PlayStation London Studio and Creative Assembly and many more across all our courses at Escape Studios.
With exclusive professional feedback, intensive software training and much more, our industry-led courses give you up-to-the-minute, inspirational knowledge and experience, tailored to the work you’re passionate about. Our Escape Studios alumni (Escapees) can be found working at a variety of studios including Pixar, MPC, Industrial Light & Magic, DNEG, Rockstar Games and Electric Theatre Collective.
Find out more about our industry partners.
Why Escape Studios?
Learn industry-relevant techniques from the experts, in a studio-like environment.
- Studio-experienced tutors. Our tutors have worked at studios including DNEG, Walt Disney Animation, EA, Rebellion and Framestore and their credits include Captain America, Black Mirror and Bond: Spectre. They speak at international conferences, like B’Ars (Spain) and VIEW Conference (Italy), write for industry-recognised blog Befores&Afters, and are authorised trainers for software like UnrealEngine, Autodesk or Houdini.
- Industry-standard facilities. Our central London campus is surrounded by world-leading studios and fully equipped with high-end hardware and the latest software.
- Industry partners. Our studio partners, including DNEG, Framestore and PlayStation London Studio, help design and develop our courses to make sure that what we teach is relevant to the current industry practices. You’ll also have access to events and webinars ran by our Student Experience team with industry speakers.