Now mentored by multi award-winning VFX studio Double Negative
About the course
Want to kick-start your career within the visual effects (VFX) industry? With no previous experience required, this 3D for Visual Effects (12 weeks) course is the perfect foundation for those with no skills in, but still passionate about VFX.
Throughout this course, you’ll learn how to use software such as Maya, Photoshop, Mudbox and 3D Equalizer, along with key techniques such as modelling, texturing, lighting and shading. Through intensive hands-on projects and problem-solving challenges, you’ll learn the latest 3D software and techniques required by industry.
What to expect
If you're joining this course and starting on 18th August you will benefit from:
- A tour and feedback session at Double Negative's central London studios'.
- Complementary add on of our part-time Houdini course, to learn the latest 3D software.
Founded in 1998 with a team of just 30, multi-award-winning Double Negative (Dneg) is now one of the world's leading providers of visual effects for Film with facilities in London, Vancouver and Mumbai.
Dneg's approach to retaining creative drive and involvement of its artists through all projects from the first stages, such as developing previs and vfx production, to their large R&D team creating the tools needed for their artists to produce ground breaking digital environments, has proved a winning combination.
They have developed long-standing realtionships with leading directors (Chris Nolan, Ron Howard, Paul Greengrass, Edgar Wright, Alex Garland) and picked up Academy awards for their work on Ex Machina. Recent work includes The Huntsman, Alice Through The Looking Glass, Captain America: Civil War, Star Trek Beyond and Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.
All students on any 3D for VFX (12 weeks) course will graduate with an Escape Studios Certificate of Achievement, a well-respected qualification within the industry, demonstrating you've studied an industry-based course and have the practical, hands-on skills studios are looking for.
Why Escape Studios?
Escape Studios is Europe’s leading VFX academy and we’ve been part of Pearson College London since 2013.
We sprang into life in 2002, to solve the industry’s lack of educated, studio-ready VFX talent. Since then, over 4,000 people have graduated from Escape, going on to forge successful careers spanning the whole VFX spectrum.
You’ll find Escapee Alumni behind many Oscar and Bafta nominated films (and with Oscars and Baftas themselves too), 100s of award-winning films and television shows and 1,000s of award-winning commercials.
Our secret? Our intensive and fiercely vocational approach and professional studio experience that trains VFX professionals to the latest industry standards.
- You'll receive intensive software training, learn the latest techniques from industry tutors and master the fundamental components of VFX, all at our studio facilities in London.
- Our tutors are already top industry professionals, meaning you'll be taught by those who know how to turn your passion for VFX into a practical skillset.
- All our classroom VFX courses are based at Escape Studios West - our state-of-the-art studios in Shepherds Bush, London.
Week 1 - Introduction to Maya
● The user interface
● Introduction to modelling
● Introduction to textures
● Introduction to lighting, shading and rendering
Week 2 – Modelling
● NURBS curves and surfaces
● NURBS surfaces to polygons
● Polygonal modelling
● Topological rules
Week 3 – Modelling continued
● Polygonal modelling continued
● Organic modelling
● Non-linear modelling
● UV mapping techniques (organic and hard surface)
Week 4 – Colour and Lighting
● Lighting – traditional cinematographic and photographic techniques
● Colour theory, three point lighting
● Natural lighting
● Indirect lighting techniques
● Image based lighting
● Matching lighting
● Advanced lighting
Week 5 – Introduction to Basic Texturings
● Texturing masterclass
● Image manipulation with Photoshop
● Texture distressing with Photoshop
● Non-destructive texturing workflows
● Camera projection mapping
Week 6 – Texturing and Surface Techniques
● Displacement mapping
● Maya nodes
● Raytracing (reflections, refractions and shadows)
● MentalRay shaders
● Material properties and case studies (MIA shaders)
Week 7 – Tracking and Integration
● Introduction to cameras
● Camera tracking with 3D equalizer
● Manual tracking techniques
● Advanced matchmoving techniques
● Lens distortion
● Camera lineup
Week 8 – Mudbox
● Import/export workflow
Week 9 – Advanced Shading and Lighting
● Mia material
● Advanced MentalRay nodes
● Advanced lighting theory
● Lighting effects
Week 10 – Render Layers and Compositing
● Render layers and passes
● Introduction to Linux
● Introduction to compositing
● Compositing with Nuke (CG layers)
● Rotoscoping and keying with Nuke
Week 11 – Animation and Rigging
● Keyframe animation
● Path animation
● Constraints and rigging
Week 12 – Project Week
● End of course presentation
The course also includes:
● A free online primer course before you start studying, so your foundation skills are up to speed.
● Access to our unique Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) – where you’ll find additional resources to supplement your training throughout the course, and for 12 months afterwards free of charge.
● Escapee Alumni after-care and career support including help and advice with your CV, showreel and job applications.
● Free Autodesk Software when you register with the Autodesk Education Community (full details will be available in your welcome pack if you choose to study on this course).
● Access to software including Maya, Photoshop, Mudbox, 3D Equalizer and Nuke.
Industry partners and advisors influence everything we do, from the curriculum we teach and how it's delivered to our webinars and special events.
We work alongside an impressive list of VFX studios including The Mill, BlueBolt, MPC, Glassworks and many more across all our courses at Escape Studios. This 3D for VFX (12 weeks) course is exclusively mentored by Framestore, one of our Industry Partners and one of the leading VFX studios in the industry today.
With exclusive professional mentoring, intensive software training and much more, our industry-led courses give you up-to-the-minute, inspirational knowledge and experience, tailored to the work you’re passionate about. Our Escape Studios Alumni (Escapee's) can be found in many of the studios including MPC, Double Negative and The Electric Theatre Company.
Fees and funding
Early bird discount: Save £1,000, when you pay in full 3 months before the course starts.
Funding for UK students
You may be able to get funding to help cover the cost of the course. For independent advice, and to find out more about your options, visit gov.uk or call the National Careers Service on 0800 100 900.
If you’re a UK resident, you can apply for a Professional Career Development Loan (PCDL). PCDLs are bank loans to pay for courses and training that help with your career. You may be able to borrow between £300 and £10,000. Loans are usually offered at a reduced interest rate and the government pays the interest while you’re studying. It’s best to apply at least three months before starting your course, to give your bank time to process your application.
To be eligible for a PCDL, you must be 18 or over, have been living in the UK for at least three years before your course starts and planning to work in the UK, European Union (EU) or European Economic Area (EEA) after you graduate.
To apply, find out which banks offer the loan and order an application pack by calling the National Careers Service on 0800 100 900. Complete and return the application form to your bank and they’ll decide if you qualify for a loan.
Funding for international students
We recommend you visit the UK Council for International Student Affairs website. The Council doesn’t provide funding directly, but it will give you all the information you need about studying and living in the UK, including visas and funding.
We do our best to find funding solutions for overseas students. For example:
● If you’re from Sweden, you may be able to get help from the Swedish loan and grant course. Find out more at csn.se
● Spanish students should visit the spanish government website for useful information on studying, employment and emigration, plus details of grants available to Spanish students.
● If you’re from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh or Burma, you may be able to get funding from the Charles Wallace Trust, to help towards your living costs and educational development in the UK. Find out more at wallace-trusts.org.uk
Get in Touch
We can help with any problems or questions you have with course fees and funding.
Speak to one of our Applicant Advisors via phone or email today!
Call us on 0207 348 1920 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to apply
You must be over 18 and have a good understanding of written and spoken English, and feel comfortable using a computer to be suitable for this course. A working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop would be an advantage.
We welcome and encourage applications from students with a variety of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives.
- Contact an applicant advisor - call or email our applicant advisors on 020 7348 1920 and they will discuss what your next steps will be based on your experience and understanding of the course.
- Meet and Greet - if you're exploring your options we advise you visit an open evening, a taster day or book a 1-2-1 meeting with an applicant advisor
- Online application form - once you've explored all your options and you’re ready to join a course, fill in the online application form and an applicant advisor will be in touch.
- Your offer - once the applicant advisor has checked you’re eligible for the course, we will send you confirmation of your offer and will discuss which payment method you prefer
- Deposit - payment plan
- Full payment via bank transfer
- PCDL or private loans
- (PT through the shop)
- Accept the offer - the final step is to accept the offer by signing our terms and conditions. Your place on the course will then be secured. If we make you an offer for a place on the programme, it will be subject to our Terms and Conditions.
If you would like to talk to us about anything to do with applying for a place please call our Admissions Team on 020 7348 1920 or email email@example.com.