Now mentored by award-winning creative studio MPC Advertising
About the course
If you want to jump to a career in the visual effects (VFX) industry, then this is the course for you. It’s highly intensive and will give you all the skills you need to kick-start your career within VFX.
You’ll start by sharpening your core 3D skills to give you a thorough technical understanding of software and principles, before moving on to more complex techniques of particle movement, hair, fur and more.
Our tutors are top industry professionals, so you’ll be taught by the best in the business whether you’re a 3D artist looking to develop a career in VFX, a 2D VFX artist wanting to move into 3D or a VFX graduate preparing for the competitive VFX job market. This course will also suit students from a creative or technical background, keen to change career and get into VFX.
What to expect
If you're joining this course and starting on 7th July you will benefit from:
- A presentation from MPC advertising at their central London studios
- Two feedback sessions on your work, two artists from MPC advertising will visit you at Escape Studios to provide invalubale critique.
MPC Advertising is a creative studio that crafts spectacular visual experiences in any space, on any screen. Renowned for adding visual wonder and creative expertise to the advertising, film and entertainment industries, the team’s broad range of skill-sets provide a multitude of creative solutions, including concept design, pre-vis, shoot supervision, 2D compositing, 3D/CG effects, animation, motion design, software development, VR/AR projects, digital & experiential production, colour grading for advertising and any combination of these services.
Some recent projects include brand campaigns for clients such as John Lewis, Channel 4, Kohl’s, Samsung, PlayStation, Coca-Cola, and Dell.
You'll also graduate with an Escape Studios Certificate of Achievement, a well-respected qualification within the industry, demonstrating you've studied an industry-based course and have the practical, hands-on skills studios are looking for.
Why Escape Studios?
Escape Studios is Europe’s leading VFX academy and we’ve been part of Pearson College London since 2013.
We sprang into life in 2002, to solve the industry’s lack of educated, studio-ready VFX talent. Since then, over 4,000 people have graduated from Escape, going on to forge successful careers spanning the whole VFX spectrum.
You’ll find Escapee Alumni behind many Oscar and Bafta nominated films (and with Oscars and Baftas themselves too), 100s of award-winning films and television shows and 1,000s of award-winning commercials.
Our secret? Our intensive and fiercely vocational approach and professional studio experience that trains VFX professionals to the latest industry standards.
- You'll receive intensive software training, learn the latest techniques from industry tutors and master the fundamental components of VFX, all at our studio facilities in London.
- Our tutors are already top industry professionals, meaning you'll be taught by those who know how to turn your passion for VFX into a practical skillset.
- All our classroom VFX courses are based at Escape Studios West - our state-of-the-art studios in Shepherds Bush, London.
Week 1 – Introduction to Maya
● The user interface
● Introduction to modelling
● Introduction to textures
● Introduction to lighting, shading and rendering
Week 2 – Modelling
● NURBS curves and surfaces
● NURBS surfaces to polygons
● Polygonal modelling
● Topological rules
Week 3 – Modelling continued
● Polygonal modelling continued
● Organic modelling
● Non-linear modelling
● UV mapping techniques (organic and hard surface)
Week 4 – Colour and Lighting
● Lighting – traditional cinematographic and photographic techniques
● Colour theory, three point lighting
● Natural lighting
● Indirect lighting techniques
● Image based lighting
● Matching lighting
● Advanced lighting
Week 5 – Introduction to Basic Texturings
● Texturing masterclass
● Image manipulation with Photoshop
● Texture distressing with Photoshop
● Non-destructive texturing workflows
● Camera projection mapping
Week 6 – Texturing and Surface Techniques
● Displacement mapping
● Maya nodes
● Raytracing (reflections, refractions and shadows)
● MentalRay shaders
● Material properties and case studies (MIA shaders)
Week 7 – Tracking and Integration
● Introduction to cameras
● Camera tracking with 3D equalizer
● Manual tracking techniques
● Advanced matchmoving techniques
● Lens distortion
● Camera lineup
Week 8 – Mudbox
● Import/export workflow
Week 9 – Advanced Shading and Lighting
● Mia material
● Advanced MentalRay nodes
● Advanced lighting theory
● Lighting effects
Week 10 – Render Layers and Compositing
● Render layers and passes
● Introduction to Linux
● Introduction to compositing
● Compositing with Nuke (CG layers)
● Rotoscoping and keying with Nuke
Week 11 – Animation and Rigging
● Keyframe animation
● Path animation
● Constraints and rigging
Week 12 – Project Week
Week 13 – Primary Dynamics
● Maya rigid bodies
● Introduction to particles
● Rendering particles
● Emission properties
● Bullet dynamics
● Expressions and particle expressions
● Basic MEL scripting
Week 14 – Houdini Fundamentals
● Procedural modelling
● Digital assets
Week 15 – Fur and hair
● Fur basics, grooming, lighting and rendering
● Hair basics, simulation and styling
● Different uses of hair
● Dynamic fur
Week 16 – Fluids
● 2D/3D containers
● Fluid contents and simulations
● Texturing and rendering fluids
● Fluid caches
● Creating ponds and oceans
Week 17 – NCloth, NParticles
● Overview of Nucleus
● Introduction to NCloth
● NCloth solving and collisions
● NParticle overview
● Caching Nucleus solvers
Week 18 – Project week
● End of course presentation
Industry partners and advisors influence everything we do, from the curriculum we teach and how it's delivered to our webinars and special events.
We work alongside an impressive list of VFX studios including The Mill, BlueBolt, MPC, Glassworks and many more across all our courses at Escape Studios. This Advanced 3D for VFX (18 weeks) course is exclusively mentored by Framestore, one of our Industry Partners and one of the leading VFX studios in the industry today.
With exclusive professional mentoring, intensive software training and much more, our industry-led courses give you up-to-the-minute, inspirational knowledge and experience, tailored to the work you’re passionate about. Our Escape Studios Alumni (Escapee's) can be found in many of the studios including MPC, Double Negative and The Electric Theatre Company.
Fees and funding
Early bird discount: Save £1,000, when you pay in full 3 months before the course starts.
Funding for UK students
You may be able to get funding to help cover the cost of the course. For independent advice, and to find out more about your options, visit gov.uk or call the National Careers Service on 0800 100 900.
If you’re a UK resident, you can apply for a Professional Career Development Loan (PCDL). PCDLs are bank loans to pay for courses and training that help with your career. You may be able to borrow between £300 and £10,000. Loans are usually offered at a reduced interest rate and the government pays the interest while you’re studying. It’s best to apply at least three months before starting your course, to give your bank time to process your application.
To be eligible for a PCDL, you must be 18 or over, have been living in the UK for at least three years before your course starts and planning to work in the UK, European Union (EU) or European Economic Area (EEA) after you graduate.
To apply, find out which banks offer the loan and order an application pack by calling the National Careers Service on 0800 100 900. Complete and return the application form to your bank and they’ll decide if you qualify for a loan.
Funding for international students
We recommend you visit the UK Council for International Student Affairs website. The Council doesn’t provide funding directly, but it will give you all the information you need about studying and living in the UK, including visas and funding.
We do our best to find funding solutions for overseas students. For example:
● If you’re from Sweden, you may be able to get help from the Swedish loan and grant course. Find out more at csn.se
● Spanish students should visit the spanish government website for useful information on studying, employment and emigration, plus details of grants available to Spanish students.
● If you’re from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh or Burma, you may be able to get funding from the Charles Wallace Trust, to help towards your living costs and educational development in the UK. Find out more at wallace-trusts.org.uk
Get in Touch
We can help with any problems or questions you have with course fees and funding.
Speak to one of our Applicant Advisors via phone or email today!
Call us on 0207 348 1920 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to apply
We welcome and encourage applications from students with a variety of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives.
- Contact an applicant advisor - call or email our applicant advisors on 020 7348 1920 and they will discuss what your next steps will be based on your experience and understanding of the course.
- Meet and Greet - if you're exploring your options we advise you visit an open evening, a taster day or book a 1-2-1 meeting with an applicant advisor
- Online application form - once you've explored all your options and you’re ready to join a course, fill in the online application form and an applicant advisor will be in touch.
- Your offer - once the applicant advisor has checked you’re eligible for the course, we will send you confirmation of your offer and will discuss which payment method you prefer
- Deposit - payment plan
- Full payment via bank transfer
- PCDL or private loans
- (PT through the shop)
- Accept the offer - the final step is to accept the offer by signing our terms and conditions. Your place on the course will then be secured.
If you would like to talk to us about anything to do with applying for a place please call our Admissions Team on 020 7348 1920 or email email@example.com.