3D Foundation (Evening - 20 weeks)
Interested in exploring the world of 3D VFX? Learn the basics with this course for beginners.
This online evening course is perfect for anyone with a passion for VFX, whether you’re a hobbyist or looking for your first big break into the VFX industry. You’ll learn real-world VFX production skills and will gain a comprehensive foundation in 3D modelling, texturing and lighting inside Autodesk Maya. See below for the online course requirements.
This course is part-time study allowing you to fit around your day job or other commitments. Through step-by-step tuition and genuine production examples, we’ll introduce you to Autodesk Maya, including its capabilities, workflows, interface and the key 3D techniques you’ll need to become a 3D professional.
After completing 3D Foundation, you’ll be eligible to advance your 3D skills and enrol on our 3D for Visual Effects Intermediate part-time evening course.
- Access to the internet
- 3 button mouse
- Wacom tablet/ Microsoft Ink
- A laptop, a tablet, or a smartphone
- A microphone
- Webcam (not compulsory)
- Materials to take notes, such as notebook and pen/pencil
- You will begin your introduction to the VFX pipeline. You will work with tools such as Maya and Adobe Photoshop. You’ll get hands on experience with 3D VFX techniques such as; modelling, texturing, lighting and shading including the latest 3D software.
- This course is part time, so it allows you to fit your studies in around your day job or other personal commitments!
- Our tutors are top industry professionals, so you’ll be taught by the best in the business whether you’re a 3D artist looking to develop a career in VFX, a 2D VFX artist wanting to move into 3D or a VFX graduate preparing for the competitive VFX job market. This course will also suit students from a creative or technical background, keen to change career and get into VFX.
- You’ll work on industry designed briefs that replicate the real workplace. We give you experience of real life scenarios, such as dealing with briefs with varying requirements, deadlines and resources.
- You'll develop your very own demo reel in the final weeks of the course. This will become your visual CV for future employers and will help you stand out in this growing but ever competitive industry.
- Introduction to Maya
- The user interface
- Introduction to modelling
- Introduction to textures
- Introduction to lighting, shading and rendering
- NURBS curves and surfaces
- Polygonal modelling
- Topological rules
- UV mapping techniques (organic and hard surface)
- Introduction to basic texturings
- Image manipulation with Photoshop
- Texture distressing with Photoshop
- Non-destructive texturing workflows
- Camera projection mapping
- Texturing and Surface Techniques Displacement mapping
- Maya nodes
- Raytracing (reflections, refractions and shadows)
- Advanced shader creation with intro to substance designer/painter
- Advanced displacement creation with intro to zBrush
- Material properties and case studies
- Colour and lighting – traditional cinematographic and photographic techniques
- Colour theory, three point lighting
- Natural lighting
- Indirect lighting techniques
- Image based lighting
- Matching lighting
- Advanced lighting
- Advanced materials
- Rendering with Arnold
The course also includes:
- Escapee Alumni after care and career support including help and advice with your CV, showreel and job applications.
- Free Autodesk Software when you register with the Autodesk Education Community (full details will be available in your welcome pack if you choose to study on this course).
- Access to software including Maya and Photoshop.
We welcome and encourage applications from students with a variety of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives.
To study this short course, you must:
- Be over 18
- Have a good understanding of written and spoken English
- Feel comfortable using a computer
Contact our Admissions team on email@example.com for any questions regarding international applications and visas.
Evening (part-time) courses can be purchased directly via our online shop - just click the Buy Now button at the top of the page.
Alternatively, you can:
- Call our Admissions Advisors on +44 (0)203 441 1303
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Reach us on LiveChat on Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
Following your application, you will need to agree to our terms and conditions before your place on the course can be secured.
All students on any 3D Foundation course will graduate with an Escape Studios Certificate of Achievement, a well-respected qualification within the industry, demonstrating you've studied an industry-based course and have the practical, hands-on skills studios are looking for.
We take aftercare very seriously - since it can take time to put together a job-ready demo reel, we make sure our students get the time and practice that they need to refine their work to make them job-ready. Learn more about our Aftercare package.
It’s also recommended to take the next step onto our 3D for VFX Intermediate Part Time course to hone your skills further.
Our students go on to work in many areas of the industry.
We offer a range of payment plan options for all courses, including up to five instalments following the initial deposit. Depending on the length of the course, we ask that the initial deposit be paid when registering for the course, and the final payment prior to the end date of the course.
Following the deposit, your chosen payment plan will break down your remaining instalments equally. Please speak to a member of our Admissions team on +44 (0)203 441 1303 or email@example.com to determine the dates of those payments.
Contact our Finance team to discuss your options on +44 (0)203 441 1303 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Funding for international students
We recommend you visit the UK Council for International Student Affairs website. The Council doesn’t provide funding directly, but it will give you all the information you need about studying and living in the UK, including visas and funding.
We do our best to find funding solutions for overseas students. For example:
- If you’re from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh or Burma, you may be able to get funding from the Charles Wallace Trust, to help towards your living costs and educational development in the UK. Find out more at wallace-trusts.org.uk.
Get in touch
We can help with any problems or questions you have with course fees and funding. Speak to one of our Applicant Advisors via phone or email today! Call us on +44 (0)203 441 1303 or email email@example.com.
Meet our tutors
Our tutors have all sculpted their own careers in successful studios in the industry and are now sharing their expertise in the classroom. Packed with everything from Thor: Ragnarok, Black Mirror and Black Panther to the original Lion King and multiple PlayStation titles, their CVs don't get much cooler! They know exactly what skills you need – teaching you real-world tips and tricks, as well as the latest industry software and techniques to kick-start your career.
Industry partners and advisors influence everything we do, from the curriculum we teach and how it's delivered to our webinars and events.
We work alongside an impressive list of VFX, Games and Animation studios including Industrial Light & Magic, Framestore, Blue Zoo, MPC, Jellyfish Pictures, PlayStation London Studio and Creative Assembly and many more across all our courses at Escape Studios.
With exclusive professional feedback, intensive software training and much more, our industry-led courses give you up-to-the-minute, inspirational knowledge and experience, tailored to the work you’re passionate about. Our Escape Studios alumni (Escapees) can be found working at a variety of studios including Pixar, MPC, Industrial Light & Magic, DNEG, Rockstar Games and Electric Theatre Collective.
Find out more about our industry partners.
Why Escape Studios?
Learn industry-relevant techniques from the experts, in a studio-like environment.
- Studio-experienced tutors. Our tutors have worked at studios including DNEG, Walt Disney Animation, EA, Rebellion and Framestore and their credits include Captain America, Black Mirror and Bond: Spectre. They speak at international conferences, like B’Ars (Spain) and VIEW Conference (Italy), write for industry-recognised blog Befores&Afters, and are authorised trainers for software like UnrealEngine, Autodesk or Houdini.
- Industry-standard facilities. Our central London campus is surrounded by world-leading studios and fully equipped with high-end hardware and the latest software.
- Industry partners. Our studio partners, including DNEG, Framestore and PlayStation London Studio, help design and develop our courses to make sure that what we teach is relevant to the current industry practices. You’ll also have access to events and webinars ran by our Student Experience team with industry speakers.