About this course
This Animation course has been designed to develop your talents and provide you the skills to create innovative animations in just 12 weeks.
The course includes 12 weeks intensive classroom tuition plus 3 months on-line feedback. After completing the classroom weeks, students are set a project and submit weekly progress updates for feedback during a three month period.
What to expect
If you're joining this course on 13th November you'll benefit from:
- Mentoring with Pixar animator Aaron Hartline, who has worked on Animation classics Toy Stoy 3, Up and Inside out!
- Aaron will visit Escape Studios to review your work half way through the course. Aaron will also be providing personalised feedback on your weekly online submissions as part of our Aftercare package.
Aaron Hartline started his career as an animator at Game Refuge, animating monsters destroying buildings for the video game Rampage. Later he worked at Big Idea, where he worked on the VeggieTales series, while completing his own short film with two fellow animators, Half Pint Heroes. On the strength of the short he found work at Blue Sky Studios, where he was hired as a rigger and worked his way to animation supervisor, animating on films such as Ice Age, Robots, and Horton Hears a Who!
Today Aaron works at Pixar Animation Studios where his credits include Inside Out, Up and Toy Story 3.
Animation at Escape Studios
You'll study in an environment that mirrors a standard industry animation studio, and will begin your introduction to the digital animation pipeline and will work with tools such as Autodesk Maya and Adobe Photoshop.
You’ll also get a hands-on experience with 3D Animation techniques such as:
- Creating simple geometry
- Basic texturing
- Animation with Dynamics
- Keyframe animation
What our students are saying
Week 1 – General intro to MAYA. Basic modeling, texturing & lighting.
Week 2 - General intro to MAYA. lighting, texturing, rigging
Week 3 - General Principles of animation & an Introduction to Locomotion
Week 4 - Advanced Locomotion: Runs, Hops, Jumps & Skips.
Week 5 - Introduction to character animation.
Week 6 - More on Character Animation - Building & Blocking a shot; parenting & Constraints
Week 7 - Weight & Flexibility. Cartoon Physics - animating a Box Lift creating characters
Week 8 - Animal locomotion, trots walks and runs
Week 9 - More on animal locomotion,
Week 10 - Acting, Dialogue & Lipsync.
Week 11 - Final Exercise
Week 12 - Demo Reel.
Fees and funding
Funding for UK students
You may be able to get funding to help cover the cost of the course. For independent advice, and to find out more about your options, visit gov.uk or call the National Careers Service on 0800 100 900.
If you’re a UK resident, you can apply for a Professional Career Development Loan (PCDL). PCDLs are bank loans to pay for courses and training that help with your career. You may be able to borrow between £300 and £10,000. Loans are usually offered at a reduced interest rate and the government pays the interest while you’re studying. It’s best to apply at least three months before starting your course, to give your bank time to process your application.
To be eligible for a PCDL, you must be 18 or over, have been living in the UK for at least three years before your course starts and planning to work in the UK, European Union (EU) or European Economic Area (EEA) after you graduate.
To apply, find out which banks offer the loan and order an application pack by calling the National Careers Service on 0800 100 900. Complete and return the application form to your bank and they’ll decide if you qualify for a loan.
Funding for international students
We recommend you visit the UK Council for International Student Affairs website at ukcisa.org.uk The Council doesn’t provide funding directly, but it will give you all the information you need about studying and living in the UK, including visas and funding.
We do our best to find funding solutions for overseas students. For example:
● If you’re from Sweden, you may be able to get help from the Swedish loan and grant course. Find out more at csn.se
● Spanish students should visit the government website empleo.gob.es for useful information on studying, employment and emigration, plus details of grants available to Spanish students.
● If you’re from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh or Burma, you may be able to get funding from the Charles Wallace Trust, to help towards your living costs and educational development in the UK. Find out more at wallace-trusts.org.uk
How to apply
You must be over 18 and have a good understanding of written and spoken English, ideally to International English Language Testing System (IELTS) level 6.0, and feel comfortable using a computer. A working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop would be an advantage.
We welcome and encourage applications from students with a variety of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives.
- Contact an applicant advisor - call or email our applicant advisors on 020 7348 1920 and they will discuss what your next steps will be based on your experience and understanding of the course.
- Meet and Greet - if you're exploring your options we advise you visit an open evening, a taster day or book a 1-2-1 meeting with an applicant advisor
- Online application form - once you've explored all your options and you’re ready to join a course, fill in the online application form and an applicant advisor will be in touch.
- Your offer - once the applicant advisor has checked you’re eligible for the course, we will send you confirmation of your offer and will discuss which payment method you prefer
- Deposit - payment plan
- Full payment via bank transfer
- PCDL or private loans
- (PT through the shop)
- Accept the offer - the final step is to accept the offer by signing our terms and conditions. Your place on the course will then be secured.
If you would like to talk to us about anything to do with applying for a place please call our Admissions Team on 020 7348 1920 or email email@example.com.
Online application form
Escape Studios West
- COURSE START DATES
- TUITION FEES
- MODE OF STUDY
- PROGRAMME DURATION
Meet your tutor
Head of Animation