Character Creation for Games and VFX (Evening - 18 weeks)
Visualise your own character designs and bring them to life.
Over 18 weeks of evening classes, you’ll design, model, texture and pose your own character. Everything you need to bring your character ideas to life!
This course will allow you to explore different character design techniques, create 3D models using Maya and ZBrush and then paint and texture your character to give it a distinct look. This course is jam-packed but is designed for beginners - to take you through every stage of the process.
There will be a focus on creating characters for visual effects and video games but the basics are the same for all types of characters so don't let that put you off if you are looking for more traditional animation or motion picture character creation.
- Create your own character - from concept to final render
- Learn from award-winning tutors - our tutors have not only been behind some of the best new talent in their field, but have an impressive array of achievements from their time practicing what they preach.
- Get hands-on experience in design, modeling, texturing, rigging and animation.
- Small class sizes - we keep our class sizes small to ensure that we deliver a personalised, student-led approach to learning.
- Study in a creative environment - we’re the leading digital arts academy in the UK and you’ll study alongside other creatives and be part of the Escape community.
- Week 1: Introduction to course – photo-bashing/concept art for characters
- Week 2: Introduction to ZBrush – sculpting/basics – how to use brushes, interface
- Week 3: Sculpting in ZBrush – dragon head
- Week 4: Blocking out a character’s pose – using Zspheres
- Week 5: Rigging a character for posing in ZBrush
- Week 6: Sculpting cloth, cloths, hair, fur
- Week 7: Hard surface sculpting in ZBrush – making an armour
- Week 8: Hard surface sculpting continues – making assets and an armour
- Week 9: Introduction to Maya – modelling basics
- Week 10: Maya modelling continued – modelling assets for characters, import assets to ZBrush
- Week 11: Blend shapes for facial expression
- Week 12: UVs – exporting models and maps from Zbrush, UVing in ZBrush, Zremesher, Retopo in Maya
- Week 13: Making high and low poly in ZBrush continued – importing and baking in Substance Painter
- Week 14: Introduction to Substance Painter and texturing painting
- Week 15: Procedural texturing
- Week 16: Projection mapping for characters
- Weeks 17 & 18: Finalise projects
- Substance Painter
We welcome and encourage applications from students with a variety of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives.
To study this short course, you must:
- Be over 18
- Have a good understanding of written and spoken English
- Feel comfortable using a computer
Evening (part-time) courses can be purchased directly via our online shop - just click the Buy Now button at the top of the page.
Alternatively, you can:
- Call our Admissions Advisors on +44 (0)203 441 1303
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Reach us on LiveChat on Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
Following your application, you will need to agree to our terms and conditions before your place on the course can be secured.
This course is designed for beginners and it will give you a taste of the different roles within VFX and animation. You’ll be able to try the different aspects of character creation to see if this could be a future career path for you. Plus you’ll finish the course with a character that you’ve designed, created and animated - a fantastic asset to add to your showreel.
Our students go on to work in many areas of the industry as highly creative professionals. You'll find our alumni, dubbed Escapees, in many of the world's top VFX studios, behind many Oscar and BAFTA-nominated films, 100s of award-winning films and television shows and 1,000s of award-winning commercials. See some of our Escape Studios success stories.
In addition to the soft skills that you will learn and enhance, working in a professional studio environment will give you the edge when applying for jobs in a highly competitive industry.
We offer a range of payment plan options for all courses. Following an initial deposit at registration stage, your chosen payment plan will break down your remaining fees into up to five equal instalments, to be paid before the end of the course.
Meet our tutors
Our tutors have all sculpted their own careers in successful studios in the industry and are now sharing their expertise in the classroom. Packed with everything from Thor: Ragnarok, Black Mirror and Black Panther to the original Lion King and multiple PlayStation titles, their CVs don't get much cooler! They know exactly what skills you need – teaching you real-world tips and tricks, as well as the latest industry software and techniques to kick-start your career.
Industry partners and advisors influence everything we do, from the curriculum we teach and how it's delivered to our webinars and events.
We work alongside an impressive list of VFX, Games and Animation studios including Industrial Light & Magic, Framestore, Blue Zoo, MPC, Jellyfish Pictures, PlayStation London Studio and Creative Assembly and many more across all our courses at Escape Studios.
With exclusive professional feedback, intensive software training and much more, our industry-led courses give you up-to-the-minute, inspirational knowledge and experience, tailored to the work you’re passionate about. Our Escape Studios alumni (Escapees) can be found working at a variety of studios including Pixar, MPC, Industrial Light & Magic, DNEG, Rockstar Games and Electric Theatre Collective.
Find out more about our industry partners.
Why Escape Studios?
Learn industry-relevant techniques from the experts, in a studio-like environment.
- Studio-experienced tutors. Our tutors have worked at studios including DNEG, Walt Disney Animation, EA, Rebellion and Framestore and their credits include Captain America, Black Mirror and Bond: Spectre. They speak at international conferences, like B’Ars (Spain) and VIEW Conference (Italy), write for industry-recognised blog Befores&Afters, and are authorised trainers for software like UnrealEngine, Autodesk or Houdini.
- Industry-standard facilities. Our central London campus is surrounded by world-leading studios and fully equipped with high-end hardware and the latest software.
- Industry partners. Our studio partners, including DNEG, Framestore and PlayStation London Studio, help design and develop our courses to make sure that what we teach is relevant to the current industry practices. You’ll also have access to events and webinars ran by our Student Experience team with industry speakers.