Character Design (Evening - 8 weeks)
Do you want to make your characters come to life?
Character Design is one of the most rewarding parts of our industry and also one of the most competitive. As with everything we do here at Escape, the class will build up to a live industry brief, with the final project mapping as closely as possible to the experience of working in an industry environment.
Students will attend an evening class one night a week, and will be set simple projects to do in-class, and more complex ones to complete by the following week. Following the course, there will also be an 8 week period of online mentoring, in which students can polish their skills in a virtual classroom and receive ongoing feedback and support.
The course has been designed after consultation with industry, with individual classes being delivered by character designers working in the animation industry, such as the very talented Vince Woodcock, author of How to Draw and Paint Crazy Cartoon Characters: Create Original Characters with Lots of Personality. Vince was a character designer on animated hits such as Space Jam and the Tigger Movie.
- Location: Midtown campus
- Start dates: 25 March 2019
- Tuition fees: £995
- Mode of study: Part time (Monday Evening: 7pm - 10pm)
- Programme duration: 8 weeks, plus 8 weeks of online mentoring
- Entry requirements: Aged 18 or over, a good understanding of written and spoken English
Meet our tutors for an informal chat and speak to other students.
Try before you buy and get a hands-on feel for what it's like to study with us.
You'll work in an industry-style studio to get a taste of what it's like to work in industry.
Meet our tutor
Andrea Torrejon, character designer for Rovio's famous Angry Birds series, will be teaching our Character Design evening class, bringing a very different perspective to the art and craft of character design.
Industry partners and advisors influence everything we do, from the curriculum we teach and how it's delivered to our webinars and special events.
We work alongside an impressive list of VFX studios including Framestore, The Mill, BlueBolt, MPC, Glassworks and many more across all our courses at Escape Studios.
With exclusive professional feedback, intensive software training and much more, our industry-led courses give you up-to-the-minute, inspirational knowledge and experience, tailored to the work you’re passionate about. Our Escape Studios Alumni (Escapee's) can be found in many of the studios including MPC, Double Negative and The Electric Theatre Company.
Why Escape Studios?
- Our tutors have worked in the industry and have been hand-picked from successful studios; they teach real-world tips and tricks learnt from on-the-job experience
- You'll work in an industry-style studio from day one, so you'll get a taste of what it's like to work in industry
- Our industry partners include Framestore, The Mill, MPC, Double Negative, Cinesite, Electric Theatre and JellyFish Pictures (to name just a few!)
- Our industry partners help to design, develop and deliver our courses and they influence everything we do, so you'll benefit from up-to-the-minute knowledge and experience
- You'll study at the heart of London's creative scene, so our state of the art facilities are the perfect place to kick-start your career