Houdini (Evening - 20 weeks)
Whilst our campus is currently closed following government measures, we will be running the September intake of this course online. Please see below for details and contact our Admissions team for further information.
Do you want to become a master in the latest VFX software?
This part-time evening course will demystify Houdini and teach you how to make the most of it for VFX by setting up style effects and rendering them, basically the safest way to blow stuff up!
You'll be taught by Mark Spevick, Head of 3D at Escape Studios, who will teach you what you need to know to move to the next level with Houdini and Houdini Engine Asset creation.
You will design and create Houdini digital assets, learn VFX and be able to use and create many interesting effects. You will understand the uses of Houdini Engine plugin for making tools for Maya and Unreal, so this can be applied across all areas of the pipeline and enhance workflows. This course is ideal for those who are familiar with the basic concepts of 3D and computer graphics.
The brains behind Houdini, SideFX, are one of our favourite software industry partners. As well as hosting their 2016 software launch at our place, they've contributed to the development of a course championing their own software and engine for industry use. There's simply no better place to learn what the professionals do.
- Location: Online
- Start dates: 29 March 2021
- Tuition fees: £3,196
- Mode of study: Part-time (Monday and Wednesday evenings 7pm - 10pm)
- Programme duration: 20 weeks
- Entry requirements: Aged 18 or over, a good understanding of written and spoken English. .
Meet our tutors
Mark is our Head of 3D, combining teaching with working at the highest level in the industry.
He got his big break at Peerless Camera, the production house co-owned by Terry Gilliam, and worked on every Gilliam film from ‘Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas’ to ‘The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus’, starring the late Heath Ledger. He also worked with director Martin Campbell on ‘Zorro’ and ‘Mask of Zorro’ before supervising on the set of ‘Casino Royale’.
Most recently, Mark managed the CG team that worked on the parachute scene in ‘Angels and Demons’, on behalf of post-house Double Negative.
Industry partners and advisors influence everything we do, from the curriculum we teach and how it's delivered to our webinars and special events.
We work alongside an impressive list of VFX studios including Framestore, The Mill, BlueBolt, MPC, Glassworks and many more across all our courses at Escape Studios.
With exclusive professional feedback, intensive software training and much more, our industry-led courses give you up-to-the-minute, inspirational knowledge and experience, tailored to the work you’re passionate about. Our Escape Studios Alumni (Escapees) can be found in many of the studios including MPC, DNEG and Electric Theatre Collective.
Why Escape Studios?
- Our tutors have worked in the industry and have been hand-picked from successful studios; they teach real-world tips and tricks learnt from on-the-job experience
- You'll work in an industry-style studio from day one, so you'll get a taste of what it's like to work in industry
- Our industry partners include Framestore, The Mill, MPC, DNEG, Cinesite, Electric Theatre Collective and Jellyfish Pictures (to name just a few!)
- Our industry partners help to design, develop and deliver our courses and they influence everything we do, so you'll benefit from up-to-the-minute knowledge and experience
- You'll study at the heart of London's creative scene, so our state of the art facilities are the perfect place to kick-start your career