Storyboarding and Previsualisation (18 weeks)
Take your traditional and digital skills to a more technical level with this Advanced 18 week course!
Our Storyboarding and Previz is a unique course incorporating several important disciplines. Our course teaches both disciplines that use traditional drawing skills (storyboards), or digital skills (previz). Storyboard artists and previz artists must solve many of the same problems, including shot flow, cinematography, narrative rhythm, and continuity.
- Internet access
- Toon Boom Storyboard Pro (student licence provided)
- Panel Forge (student licence provided)
- Desktop or laptop meeting the Autodesk requirements for Maya (https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/System-requirements-for-Autodesk-Maya-2020.html)
- Drawing Screen or Wacom graphics tablet
- 3-button mouse (or optionally a Wacom tablet or similar)
- Working computer microphone (and optionally a webcam)
- Note-taking materials
- Paper and pencils
- You'll study in an environment that mirrors a standard industry animation studio, and will work with tools such as Autodesk Maya and Toon Boom Storyboard Pro.
- You'll get hands on experience with traditional and digital techniques such as; cinematography, creating simple geometry and keyframe animation.
- Studying a short course allows you to learn new skills quickly in as little as 12 weeks! Working in the fast paced environment will equip you for industry and you can start applying for job roles as soon as you’ve completed the programme.
- In the studio you’ll work on industry designed briefs that replicate the real workplace. We give you experience of real life scenarios, such as dealing with briefs with varying requirements, deadlines and resources.
- You'll develop your very own portfolio in the final weeks of the course. This will become your visual CV for future employers and will help you stand out in this growing but ever competitive industry.
We pride ourselves on our industry powered training, that's why we partner with some of the world's leading studios on all our Escape Studios daytime short courses (full-time).
This is a great opportunity for our students to receive industry standard critique from an expert in their field, personalised feedback allows students to improve their work to guarantee it's studio ready.
Module 1 - Storyboarding
Week 1: Storyboarding Basics - Pitch for a Short Film
Week 2: Story Design
- Defining the conflict
- Designing Characters with personality
- Establishing the story rules
- Creating story sequences
Week 3: Storyboarding Basics
- Life drawing
- Composition Elements
- Colour theory
- Concept Art
- Character and Environment Design
Week 4: Storyboarding Intermediate
- Script breakdown
- Pacing the action
- Thumbnails and tonal sketches
- Beat boards
Week 5: Storyboarding Advanced
- Digital storyboarding
- Animation principles
- Sound Design
Module 2 - Previsualisation
Week 6: Previz basics - Storyboarding for Interactive project
- Art Direction and storytelling
- Period styles, Fashion and Costume
- Digital painting
- Colour scripts
- Lighting for atmosphere and mood
- Cinematography techniques
Week 7: Previz basics
- 3D Concepts
- Assets and World Building
Week 8: Previz Intermediary
Week 9: Previz Intermediary
Week 10: Previz Intermediary
- Staging a shot
Week 11 & 12: Group Project- Directing a Story, Pitch for TV series
Week 15 & 16 : Individual Project- Producing Pitch for a Feature Film Project
- Screenplay writing
- Adobe CCS
- Toon Boom Storyboard Pro
- Toon Boom Harmony
- Panel Forge
- Substance Painter
- Unreal Engine
We welcome and encourage applications from students with a variety of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives.
To study this short course, you must:
- Be over 18
- Have a good understanding of written and spoken English
- Feel comfortable using a computer
Contact our Admissions team on email@example.com for any questions regarding international applications and visas.
To apply, or if you have any questions about your application or our entry requirements, you can:
- Call our Admissions Advisors on +44 (0)203 441 1303
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Reach us on LiveChat on Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
Following your application, you will need to agree to our terms and conditions before your place on the course can be secured.
All students on any 3D for VFX (18 weeks) course will graduate with an Escape Studios Certificate of Achievement, a well-respected qualification within the industry, demonstrating you've studied an industry-based course and have the practical, hands-on skills studios are looking for. After the classroom course is over we offer three months of online mentoring, so that our students can continue to refine and polish their skills. We take aftercare very seriously - since it can take time to put together a job-ready demo reel, we make sure our students get the time and practice that they need to refine their work to make them job-ready. Learn more about our AfterCare package.
As you develop more experience and your skills develop further, the pool of roles you will be suitable for will grow. Download our Careers Guide.
We offer a range of payment plan options for all courses, including up to five instalments following the initial deposit. Depending on the length of the course, we ask that the initial deposit be paid when registering for the course, and the final payment prior to the end date of the course.
Following the deposit, your chosen payment plan will break down your remaining instalments equally. Please speak to a member of our Admissions team on +44 (0)203 441 1303 or email@example.com to determine the dates of those payments.
Contact our Finance team to discuss your options on +44 (0)203 441 1303 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Funding for international students
We recommend you visit the UK Council for International Student Affairs website. The Council doesn’t provide funding directly, but it will give you all the information you need about studying and living in the UK, including visas and funding.
We do our best to find funding solutions for overseas students. For example:
- If you’re from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh or Burma, you may be able to get funding from the Charles Wallace Trust, to help towards your living costs and educational development in the UK. Find out more at wallace-trusts.org.uk.
Get in touch
We can help with any problems or questions you have with course fees and funding. Speak to one of our Applicant Advisors via phone or email today! Call us on +44 (0)203 441 1303 or email email@example.com.
Meet our tutors
Iliana is our Storyboarding and Previsualisation tutor and also the Art Director at Mediaframe Ltd. With over 30 years in the animation industry, she has worked on various TV shows including Hungarian Folk Tales (1992-1996), Carland Cross (1996), and some feature film projects including A Monkey’s Tale (1999) and The Princess and the Pea (2002).
Iliana has a BA in Animation from Krastyo Sarafov National Academy for Theatre and Film Arts and an MPhil in Arts and Media from University for the Creative Arts.
Industry partners and advisors influence everything we do, from the curriculum we teach and how it's delivered to our webinars and events.
We work alongside an impressive list of VFX, Games and Animation studios including Industrial Light & Magic, Framestore, Blue Zoo, MPC, Jellyfish Pictures, PlayStation London Studio and Creative Assembly and many more across all our courses at Escape Studios.
With exclusive professional feedback, intensive software training and much more, our industry-led courses give you up-to-the-minute, inspirational knowledge and experience, tailored to the work you’re passionate about. Our Escape Studios alumni (Escapees) can be found working at a variety of studios including Pixar, MPC, Industrial Light & Magic, DNEG, Rockstar Games and Electric Theatre Collective.
Find out more about our industry partners.
Why Escape Studios?
Learn industry-relevant techniques from the experts, in a studio-like environment.
- Studio-experienced tutors. Our tutors have worked at studios including DNEG, Walt Disney Animation, EA, Rebellion and Framestore and their credits include Captain America, Black Mirror and Bond: Spectre. They speak at international conferences, like B’Ars (Spain) and VIEW Conference (Italy), write for industry-recognised blog Befores&Afters, and are authorised trainers for software like UnrealEngine, Autodesk or Houdini.
- Industry-standard facilities. Our central London campus is surrounded by world-leading studios and fully equipped with high-end hardware and the latest software.
- Industry partners. Our studio partners, including DNEG, Framestore and PlayStation London Studio, help design and develop our courses to make sure that what we teach is relevant to the current industry practices. You’ll also have access to events and webinars ran by our Student Experience team with industry speakers.