Your privacy is important to us
At Pearson College London, we know you care about how your personal information is used, and we appreciate that you trust us to do that carefully and sensibly.
PCL is registered under the Data Protection Act 1998 under number Z3188453 to hold personal data (as defined under the DPA 1998) ("Personal Data") including sensitive personal data (as defined under DPA 1998 ("Sensitive Personal Data") on its students and third parties, such as individuals enquiring about PCL services. Our entry on the register can be seen on the website of the Information Commissioner's Office.
What Personal Data do we process?
We will collect and process Personal Data including your name, contact details, emergency contact details, date of birth, country of nationality and of birth, academic qualifications, details of any disability, details of any criminal conviction, fee information and sponsorship details. During your time at PCL, we will process data about your attendance and progress on your programme.
Your data is kept both in hard copy and electronic form and, in both cases, is kept securely in locked cabinets or password protected computer records.
Sensitive Personal Data
We also collect Sensitive Personal Data, which is kept under additional security
arrangements and is only used or shared for specific purposes, about which you will be notified at the time of collection.
Use of your data
We may share your information with:
- Lecturers, administrators and third party service providers engaged by us to deliver our products and services;
- External awarding bodies, validating partners, external verifiers and examiners and auditors which verify your test and examination results, in order to obtain accreditations for you;
- Central government departments or other external bodies which oversee the quality of the services we provide and the process of awarding qualifications and accreditations.
- The Student Loans Company, local education authorities or other bodies funding your studies.
- Local authorities for Council Tax purposes
- Law enforcement agencies when required by law to do so or where crime prevention or detection can be aided by release of data.
- Health service providers or others where it is in your vital interests to disclose information in an emergency.
- Pearson College Student Association (PCSA).
Wherever possible, we impose restrictions and standards in our written contracts with them in order to ensure they keep your Personal Data secure and that they use it only for the purpose for which we provide it to them.
Students on PCL programmes are required to submit assessments via Turnitin software which carries out originality checks and retains your work in a repository for comparison purposes. Further details can be found on the Turnitin website.
Higher Education Statistics Agency
We are required by law to send information, including Sensitive Personal Data, about students enrolled on our programmes to the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA). HESA is the official source of information about UK universities and higher education colleges. HESA shares this information with other appropriate bodies for the purpose of statistical analysis, administration and funding of higher education. You can find out about the purposes for which HESA uses your data and the organizations with which HESA shares your data by viewing the Student Collection Notice.