Applications are currently closed. Be the first to know when applications open again!
Work, Earn and Learn
Work for three leading companies, earn money and gain a degree at the same time.
Our Rotational Degree Apprenticeship programme is a three year structured training programme offering you an unrivalled opportunity to combine apprenticeships across three different leading companies and complete a degree at Pearson Business School
On completion of this programme you will graduate with:
- Three years of professional work experience across our participating companies; companies offering apprenticeships as part of this innovative programme are Direct Line Group, IBM, Pearson, Tesco, Unilever and WPP's Ogilvy
- A Business Management degree validated by the University of Kent, a top University
- Chartered Manager status
- No debt! During the programme you’ll be employed and paid an annual salary of at least £15,000 and have your degree tuition fees paid in full by your Home Company
- An amazing CV full of invaluable work experience across three world leading companies. You will spend most of your time with your Home Company, but will also have a substantial secondment at two other companies giving you a rich and unique professional learning experience. Through this scheme, you’ll build up an excellent CV which will put you in a great position to compete for jobs once you graduate.
- Confidence and personal support - throughout your programme you’ll have access to a company mentor and an academic personal tutor who will support you, so you’ll grow in confidence and develop your skillset
How it works
- We have 10 positions available for a paid Rotational Degree Apprenticeship in Management based in London. This sponsored programme incorporating a Pearson Business School BA Honours degree in Business Management is for three years and gives you experience working at three of the world’s most respected companies. The course starts in September 2016 and ends September 2019.
- During your three year apprenticeship you will study one day a week at Pearson Business School for a degree in Business Management validated by the University of Kent.
- As part of the programme, you’ll complete three apprenticeships at three of our six partner companies, whilst also studying towards your degree. You will go to college one day a week and will be expected to study at home as well.
- As a successful applicant you will spend the first 12 months with your Home Company, 8 months at a second company, 8 months at a third company and a final 8 months back with your Home Company. During term time you will work four days a week and spend the fifth at Pearson Business School studying for your degree in Business Management, which is validated by the University of Kent, a highly respected and well ranked University. There will also be additional scheduled study and assessment days throughout the year.
- Additionally you will be paid an annual salary (minimum of £15,000) and have your degree tuition fees paid in full by your Home Company meaning you will graduate with no debt.
What our partners say
Marketing Director, Direct Line Group
Group Personnel Director, Tesco
Direct Line Group is headquartered in Bromley. Through its number of well known brands the Group offers a wide range of general insurance products to consumers. These brands include Direct Line, Churchill and Privilege. The Group also provides insurance services for third parties through its partnerships division, Brand Partners. In the commercial sector, the Groups NIG and Direct Line for Business operations offer insurance products for businesses distributed through brokers or direct, respectively.
Marketing Director, Direct Line Group
IBM is a multinational technology and consulting organisation, but perhaps one of the most interesting facts is that the company is focused on remaining relevant and is constantly reinventing itself. And that’s not just an ambitious claim, it’s embedded within its culture. IBM want the young employees within the organisation to feel passionate about the projects they're working on. To drive this they’ve developed ‘Millennial Corps’, a digital group of thousands of employees. Staff participating in ‘Millennial Corps’ frequently receive surveys about potential projects IBM may be spearheading, so they can engage, contribute their thoughts and impact the company, with a direct pipeline to the top. Sounds exciting? We thought so too!
IBM UK Foundation Manager
Pearson is a FTSE 100 company and the world’s learning organisation; not forgetting that it’s Pearson College London’s parent company too! Pearson creates tools that provide opportunities for learners at every stage of their journey: at home, through to the classroom and the workplace, so that learning becomes embedded in their lives. Pearson’s ethos is ‘wherever learning flourishes, so do people’, to that end Pearson brings together leading names in education to provide content, curricula, assessment, training and information systems to make learning more engaging and effective. Pearson strives to ensure that its employees have the skills to leave, but choose to stay.
Principal of Pearson College London
Tesco is one of the world's largest retailers with over 450,000 colleagues who are dedicated to serving shoppers a little better every day. In the UK, we are the largest private sector employer with over 300,000 colleagues across more than 3000 stores, distribution centres and offices, as well as in Tesco Mobile and Tesco Bank. Understanding people - customers, colleagues, communities - and what matters to them, and then trying to make those things better, is at the heart of Tesco. After all, every little helps. Tesco are focused on shaping future leaders and encourage their colleagues to take responsibility, be entrepreneurial, to serve and make things happen.
Group Personnel Director, Tesco
Think you haven’t heard of Unilever? Think again! The consumer goods giant’s brands are present within 98% of UK households, so it’s pretty much guaranteed that you’ll own some of their products. From Marmite (love it or hate it…) and the unconventional, quirky ice-cream brand Ben and Jerry’s, through to Dove’s campaign for 'real beauty', Unilever are renowned for a being a business built on brands with purpose. Unilever’s employees are passionate about their commitment to sustainability and this shines through from the products they offer to the marketing campaigns they deliver.
VP Human Resources, Unilever UK & Ireland
HR Talent Consultant, Unilever
WPP is the world’s largest communications services group and is the parent company of OgilvyOne which is part of our Rotational Degree Apprenticeship programme. Through its many operating companies, the Group provides advertising and marketing services to companies large and small. These include advertising & media investment management; data investment management; public relations & public affairs; branding & identity; healthcare communications; direct, digital, promotion & relationship marketing and specialist communications. The Group employs 194,000 people (including associates and investments) in over 3,000 offices across 112 countries.
Ogilvy & Mather UK
Ogilvy & Mather UK is the largest integrated communications group in the UK. We have ten specialist agencies with expertise in areas as diverse as PR, design, direct, digital, healthcare, branded content and advertising all based at Sea Containers on the Southbank. Across all of our companies, our focus is on producing breakthrough creative work, which is measurable and effective. Around the world we have a network of more than 500 offices in 126 countries. Ogilvy is currently Cannes Network of the Year. Ogilvy & Mather UK is a WPP company.
OgilvyOne London, one of the 10 Ogilvy & Mather agencies in Sea Container where the rotation student will work is The Customer Agency specializing in helping its clients’ brands unlock the full potential of their customers - whether in the consumer space or the business environment. Multi-award winning the agency is a leader in customer engagement across the whole customer journey.
What you will learn
The modules will cover
- Principles of Business (Finance, Marketing, Organisational Behaviour, People)
- Operations and Project Management
- Introduction to Contract Law
- Management Reporting and Decision-Making
- Strategic Brand Planning
- Strategic Management
- Strategic Innovation Management
- Work based research and projects
There are also a range of electives available in the final stage of the programme:
EU Law, IP Law, Advanced Reporting, Taxation and Assurance, Advanced Financial Management, Innovative Marketing Strategies, Sustainability, Land Law and Equity and Trusts Law.
Why should I apply for this Apprenticeship?
It’s an attractive alternative to a standard university application; gaining a degree while learning about business within three of the world's leading companies. The Scheme will pay for your training, all course fees and give you an Apprentice’s salary, and after three years you’ll have completed your apprenticeship, gained your honours degree, plus a CV full of work experience. This will put you in a great position to apply for jobs at the end of scheme.
Why is this Apprenticeship launching now?
We are keen to attract the brightest from the broadest range of backgrounds, and Apprenticeships which incorporate a degree are a new way to do this. All six companies involved in this programme offer a fantastic place to work and are highly committed to finding new talent.
What are we looking for?
You don’t need to have work experience but we are looking for people who can show the ability to work on their own initiative, have excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to work co-operatively as part of a team. Also essential are effective organisation and administrative skills and a keen eye for detail. You'll have excellent numeracy skills, and an ability to work with spreadsheets and databases.
You'll have a genuine interest and a passion to develop a career in business as well as a passion and enthusiasm for working at our partner companies.
You will be highly motivated, innovative and self-driven with an ambition to succeed in these complex and specialist areas. We aim to develop you towards being business managers and leaders of the future.
How much annual leave will I get?
Annual leave entitlement will be determined by the contract you sign with you Home Company. There will be some restrictions when you can take this however, as we can’t run degree courses when some apprentices are away.
What will I learn?
Pearson Business School deliver the course. You will study for a BA Business Management degree over the three years. On successful completion of the degree you will be awarded a BA Honours degree in Business Management validated by University of Kent. You will learn about key aspects of business including management and leadership, finance, marketing, people, business law, operations and project management, innovation, and much more. Assessment will be via a combination of continual assessment, assignments, presentations and exams. Because of the nature of the course some of the units may be delivered remotely and you should expect the Virtual Learning Environment to become very important to you - for example tutorials might be online via the Pearson Business School online learning environment.
Can I apply for a Student Loan?
No. The partner companies are paying your course fees so there will be no need to apply for a student loan. You will also be receiving a salary from your Home Company.
Where will I be based?
You will be based in the office of your Home Company. The Home Companies are not responsible for employees accommodation and so it will be your responsibility to find and pay for suitable accommodation.
Your study will take place at Pearson Business School which is based at 190 High Holborn. You will also be required to undertake study at a distance (i.e. from home).
What will I be doing during the work placements?
Almost anything that is involved in business – this might include contracting, market research, marketing, data management & analysis, strategy, project management etc. Successful candidates will have the opportunity to undertake placements within three of the six companies spending 12 months at your Home Company, 8 months at Company number 2, 8 months at Company number 3 and a final 8 months back at your Home Company .
We will discuss your preferences but we will make sure each apprenticeship will give you appropriate stretch and challenge. You will have a company mentor and academic tutor who will be responsible for your learning objectives and you will be assessed on each placement.
What happens if I choose to leave halfway through the course?
We really don’t want that to happen so you need to be as certain as possible that you’re committed to the three year Apprenticeship. But if you do leave, depending on the circumstances, we may ask you, or your new employer to pay back the course fees we have paid for you to date.
I’ve already got a degree - can I apply?
No. This Apprenticeship is for those who have not yet undertaken degree level education. If you started a course and dropped out you may apply – but we'd need to hear a good reason why!
I don’t have a degree; I’ve been working since I left with A-levels - can I apply?
Yes absolutely - the Apprenticeship is open to anyone with a passion for business.
What academic qualifications are you looking for?
You’ll need very good spoken and written English, and you’re likely to have GCSE English and Maths (or equivalent) at a minimum of grade B. Don't worry if you don't have these, we are looking for people who can show potential and demonstrate a passion for business and not necessarily people with academic qualifications. So don’t talk yourself out of this great opportunity.
I need a work permit - can I apply?
No, you must already have the right to work in the UK. You must have resided within the EU for the past three years.
When can I apply?
The application process opens on the 1st July and will close at midnight on 2nd August 2016.
What happens after I apply?
When we receive your application, we will decide who most closely matches the requirements of the apprenticeship.
You will be invited to an assessment session and Business Workshop at Pearson Business School. You will need to make sure you can attend on the dates we provide.
At the assessment day and Business Workshop you will be asked to take part in some challenging tasks to help us work out who most closely matches the requirements of the apprenticeship.
Tasks will include:
- An interview
- A verbal, numerical, and abstract reasoning test
- A written test on a business topic
- A group observational test
If successful at that stage, you will be invited back to meet with Managers and Directors of our partner companies who will interview you to asses your match with their company values.
We’ll let you know if you're successful by the end of August. The successful apprentices will begin in September 2016.
How to apply
Applications are now closed.
This will be an exciting but challenging opportunity which will require lots of hard work and commitment. You don’t need to have work experience but we are looking for people who can show the ability to work on their own initiative, have excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to work co-operatively as part of a team. Also essential are effective organisation and administrative skills and a keen eye for detail. You'll have excellent numeracy skills, and an ability to work with spreadsheets and databases.
You can apply if you're over 17 or will be 17 by the start of the programme.
To be successful in this role you will:
- Be committed and motivated to studying towards the Business Management degree qualification.
- Be able to deliver first class client service and work effectively as part of a team
- Demonstrate an ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing
- Be well organised and have the ability to prioritise your own workload
- Have a high level of general commercial awareness
- Eligible to study in the UK
- Passion for Business
- Stage 1 - Complete the online application form
- Stage 2 - Business Workshop at Pearson Business School and/or Skype interviews
- Stage 3 - Company Assessment Days
- Stage 4 - Final interview with Home Companies
Deadline for applications
2nd August 2016
Principal of Pearson College London