Not got the University place you want? You might be able to add another choice to your UCAS application. Rebecca Schrod, Student Recruitment Officer, gives her advice on how to make the most of UCAS Extra...
If you don't receive offers from any of your UCAS choices, or have a change of heart and decide to decline or cancel your choices, UCAS Extra is a great opportunity to apply for alternative courses.
How does it work?
- UCAS Extra opens on 25th February and is available until 4th July.
- It's a chance for those who aren’t currently holding offers to secure a place at university before clearing opens.
- If you're eligible for UCAS Extra, you can then either use the UCAS website to make an application or contact a university directly.
- You can apply for one place at a time - if you are made an offer you can firmly accept or decline it just like any offer.
- If you don't get an offer (or decide to decline your offer), you can opt to make another UCAS Extra choice.
What should I do?
- Don't rush in! You can only apply to one course at a time so don't just apply to the first course you're interested in - do your research and make sure that the university you're applying to is right for you. Get in touch with universities you're considering to ask any questions that you might have. In the case of Pearson College London, give us a call on 0203 441 1303 and we'll chat through your options.
- If you were unsuccessful in your other choices, look at why this might be by contacting the universities to request some feedback on your application, and ask friends, family or teachers to have another look through your personal statement to see if there are any gaps. Some universities will allow you to submit an alternative or amended personal statement directly to them, so this is a really important step.
- Question "is this new choice a good match for me?" If you're changing your course choice, what has made you change your mind? At Pearson College London, we interview every candidate to ensure you are right for us and also we are right for you.
- When you've found a course that you're interested in, make sure you contact the university or college directly to make sure that they will consider you before you apply. At Pearson College London we offer personal visits and can usually arrange for you to speak to a current student to find out what being a student here is like. Our friendly team and Admissions Manager are on hand to guide you through your UCAS Extra application.
- Once you've done all of this - you’re ready to apply! Try and act as quickly as you can as places are allocated on a first come, first served basis.
Our team are on-hand to help you throughout the application process. If you have questions please get in touch - we're here to help.