From start to finish, all staff at Pearson College London are focused on helping you gain the qualifications, connections and industry experience you need to kick-start your career. Our courses are designed so that you’re constantly interacting with industry professionals, providing you with opportunities to build your networks and establish yourself in the business world. To ensure that you make the most of your new connections, a polished LinkedIn profile is a must!
Why is LinkedIn so important?
- Huge opportunity to network online - It’s a great tool to meet like-minded professionals; with 433 million users across 200 different countries, it’s a great way to build your network and meet people who are interested in the same field.
- Employers use it to research candidates they are interviewing and external recruiters use LinkedIn to source candidates, so it’s a great way to market yourself!
- It’s a great way for you to research companies that you’re interested in working for, or to research the people that will be interviewing you!
Top Tips Towards a Top Profile:
- Use a professional image - going against the popular belief that you ‘don’t judge a book by it's cover’, it’s important to have a good quality profile picture. Make sure you have a high resolution (1400 x 425), professional picture, preferably with a white background. Avoid photos of yourself in a restaurant or with other things in the background that may distract the viewer's’ attention.
- Set a Headline. The space underneath your photo is an opportunity for you to give a short and snappy brief of who you are. You have 120 characters to hook viewers, so choose carefully. Remember, you are a product in the market and LinkedIn provides you with the platform to brand yourself. It is a great way to attract attention and get people viewing your profile.
- Keep your profile active by sharing thoughts and experiences. LinkedIn has evolved over the years and has become a place for users to inject some personality and passion for their target audience/industry. The more you publish and share, the more you show an active voice and therefore generate attention to your profile.
- Add your skills. Try to steer away from overused adjectives ‘motivated, creative, and passionate’. Use buzzwords that will separate you from the rest of the industry professionals. You can also re-order your top 3 skills to ensure the highest visibility to your strongest business attributes.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for endorsements from previous employers and tutors. The great thing about endorsements is that they are permanent references to support applications to future employers and customers. By asking for endorsements over LinkedIn immediately after every placement you’ll save yourself the hassle of worrying about references years after you have worked with them. With our smaller class sizes you’ll have plenty of opportunities to impress your tutors and spark some excellent endorsement material!
Don’t delay, update your LinkedIn profile today!
For more information on what Pearson College London can do for you, contact our team on: firstname.lastname@example.org